Paulo Caceres Puzzella, Ph.D.
Paulo Caceres Puzzella, Ph.D.
6135 Woodward Ave
Assistant Scientist-Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital
Assistant Professor (FTA)-Department of Physiology, Wayne State University
Areas of Interest
Epithelial polarity, Kidney physiology, Angiogenesis, Diabetes, Hypertension
Our research aims to identify cell-cell communication mechanisms between epithelial and endothelial cells, and to determine how they contribute to tissue homeostasis and disease. The close relationship between epithelial cells and the underlying microvasculature greatly determines the properties of the tissues and organs where they are located. For this reason, our perspective is that these cell types need to be studied as a functional unit. We believe that bidirectional mechanisms of cell-cell communication between epithelial and endothelial cells maintain tissue homeostasis and contribute to the diversity of epithelia (there are over 150 in the body and possibly an equivalent diversity of microvascular phenotypes). We are interested in identifying novel pathways of cell-cell communication that influence polarized epithelial processes and microvascular angiogenesis, with the ultimate goal of establishing them as contributors to diabetic kidney disease and renal control of blood pressure.
Interested MS and PhD students please contact Dr. Caceres
- Caceres PS, Savickas G, Murray S, Umanath K, Uduman J, Yee J, Liao TD, Bolin S, Levin A, Khan M, Sarkar S, Fitzgerald J, Maskey D, Ormsby A, Sharma Y, Ortiz P. High SARS-CoV-2 Viral Load in Urine Sediment Correlates with Acute Kidney Injury and Poor COVID-19 Outcome. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2021 Jun 4; doi: 10.1681/ASN.2021010059. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 34088853.
- Caceres PS, Rodriguez-Boulan E. Retinal pigment epithelium polarity in health and blinding diseases. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2020 Feb;62:37-45. doi: 10.1016/j.ceb.2019.08.001. PubMed PMID: 31518914.
- Caceres PS, Ortiz PA. Molecular regulation of NKCC2 in blood pressure control and hypertension. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2019 Sep;28(5):474-480. doi: 10.1097/MNH.0000000000000531. PubMed PMID: 31313674.
- Gravotta D, Perez Bay A, Jonker CTH, Zager PJ, Benedicto I, Schreiner R, Caceres PS, Rodriguez-Boulan E. Clathrin and clathrin adaptor AP-1 control apical trafficking of megalin in the biosynthetic and recycling routes. Mol Biol Cell. 2019 Jul 1;30(14):1716-1728. doi: 10.1091/mbc.E18-12-0811. PubMed PMID: 31091172.
- Caceres PS, Gravotta D, Zager PJ, Dephoure N, Rodriguez-Boulan E. Quantitative proteomics of MDCK cells identify unrecognized roles of clathrin adaptor AP-1 in polarized distribution of surface proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019 Jun 11;116(24):11796-11805. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1821076116. PubMed PMID: 31142645.
A complete list of Dr. Caceres' publications can be found at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/1RC053mq27jAt/bibliography/public/
Post Graduate Training
- Research Instructor: 2020-2021 Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI.
- Postdoctoral Associate: 2016-2020. Ophthalmology Department, Dyson Vision Research Institute, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY.
- Postdoctoral Fellow: 2014-2016. Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI.
- Caroline tum Suden/Francis A. Hellebrandt Professional Opportunity Award, Committee on Women in Physiology of the American Physiological Society, April 2008.
- Golden Key International Honour Society: Member by invitation since 2009.
- XIII Graduate Student Research Day. Wayne State University. First place, oral presentation, session 1. September 17th, 2009.
- APS Renal Section Pre-doctoral Excellence in Renal Research Award 2010
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Grant - project titled: Role of WAMP2, SNAP-23 and syntaxin 3 in cAMP-stimulated exocyclic insertion of NKCC2 in the thick ascending limb, 2010-1012
- Research Recognition Award– Epithelial Transport Group, American Physiological Society, 2013.
- Centennial Award- Physiology Graduate Program, Wayne State University, 2013.
- Oral Presentation Award – 1st Michigan Physiological Society Meeting, 2014.
- Postdoctoral Excellence in Renal Research Award - Experimental Biology, 2016.
- Travel Grant - Minorities Affairs Committee, American Society for Cell Biology, Annual Meeting, 2019
- Poster Session, special recognition- Minorities Affairs Committee, ASCB meeting, 2019
PhD 2014 - Wayne State University, Department of Physiology
MS 2005 - University of Cordoba, Argentina