Nihar R. Nayak, DVM, PhD, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Nihar R. Nayak, DVM, PhD, D.V.M., Ph.D.
C.S. Mott Center
275 E. Hancock
Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology; Reproductive Sciences Concentration Representative
Research in our laboratory is focused on understanding the mechanisms of vascular development and remodeling during implantation and pregnancy, with particular emphasis on understanding the pathophysiology of pregnancy-related vascular complications. We believe that most of the pregnancy-related vascular complications manifested late in gestation, including preeclampsia, have their origins early in pregnancy. Thus, the main goal of our research is to identify the abnormalities in implantation that may contribute to the development of various diseases of pregnancy. We use human tissue samples and both animal and culture models to address our various research questions.
Dr. Nayak is accepting new MS and PhD students in his lab for the 2019-20 academic year.
To see a complete list of Dr. Nayak's pubications, please visit PubMed
Post Graduate Training
- 2016: Stanford Faculty Development in Medical Teaching Program
- 1998-2000: Lalor Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon
- 1995-1997: Research Associate-ship, Indian Council of Medical Research All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 1987-1989: Junior Research Fellowship, Indian Council of Agricultural Research Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar, India
Awards & Honors
- Jul 2012 – Jun 2014 Ernest and Amelia Gallo Endowed Fellowship (Mentor; Candice O'Hern Perfetto, Mentee); Children Health Research Institute and Ernest and Amelia Gallo Foundation.
- Nov 2011 Preeclampsia Foundation Vision Grant Award – presented at the Foundation’s annual gala, Saving Grace – A Night of Hope and Gratitude, at New York.
- Jul 2010 – Jun 2011 ACOG/Ortho Fellowship in Women’s Health & Urology Academic Training Program (Mentor; Sacha Krieg, Mentee); American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Jul 2010 – Jun 2011 Child Health Postdoctoral/Clinical Research Fellowship (Mentor; Joyce Fu Sung, Mentee); Children Health Research Institute.
- Aug 2010 Lalor Foundation Merit Award (Mentor; Xiujun Fan, Mentee); Society for the Study of Reproduction.
- Aug 2010 Larry Ewing Memorial Travel Award (Mentor; Xiujun Fan, Mentee); Society for the Study of Reproduction; 2010
- Mar 2007 – Feb 2008 Presidential Fund for Innovation in International Studies Award; Stanford-International Health and Society Initiative (Co-PI); Stanford University.
- Jul 2005 – Jun 2006 ACOG-Ortho McNeil Research Fellowship (Co-mentor; Bonnie Dwyer, Mentee); American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Apr 2004 – Mar 2009 Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health (BIRCWH) Award (5 years), the NIH institutional career development award.
- May 2000 – Apr 2004 Junior Investigator Award (4 years); the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Mar 1999 Travel Grant Award; the Endocrine Society.
- Jul 1999 Burroughs Wellcome Fund Travel Fellow, the Society for the Study of Reproduction.
- Mar 1996 A.V. Tilak-Parvathi Devi Award for best publication in the field of Endocrinology & Neuroendocrinology awarded by the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India.
- Aug 1995 – Jul 1997 Senior Research Fellowship (Associateship), Indian Council of Medical Research
- May 1989 University Gold Medal for First Class First in M.V.Sc.(Physiology); Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, India.
- Apr 1987 – Mar 1989 Junior Research Fellowship, Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- April 1998-Ph.D. in Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- May 1989-M.Sc. in Veterinary Sciences (Physiolog), Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
- August 1986-B.Sc. in Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry (DVM in the USA), Orissa University of Agriculature and Technology