Chaur-Dong Hsu, M.D., M.P.H., M.D., M.P.H., FACOG
Chaur-Dong Hsu, M.D., M.P.H., M.D., M.P.H., FACOG
Hutzel Women’s Hospital
3990 John R. Street, Box 158
Position TitleChairman & Frank P. Iacobell Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Areas of Interest
- Intra-amniotic infection
- Preterm labor
- Postpartum wound infection
- Personalized medicine
Dr. Hsu received his medical degree from Kaohsiung Medical School in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China, in 1982, and his master of public health degree from The John Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health in Baltimore, MD., in 1991. He completed Obstetrics and Gynecology residency training at Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, in 1990. He subsequently completed a postdoctoral research fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine and a clinical fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, both at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1993.
He is the former chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and chair of the Research Committee at NuHealth System/Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, New York (2008-2015). Dr. Hsu was a tenured professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology for State University of New York, Stony Brook School of Medicine, and professor for New York College of Osteopathic Medicine in Old Westbury, New York. He previously served as professor and chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Westchester Medical Center, New York Medical College (2002-2008). He has been a member of the faculty at Yale University and Duke University, and was the Leon McGoogan Professor and Endowed Chair at the University of Nebraska, where he also served as director of Maternal-Fetal Medicine and Obstetrics.
Board certified in General Obstetrics and Gynecology, and in Maternal Fetal Medicine, by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Hsu’s research led to his election to the Board of Directors (and positions as secretary and treasurer) of the North American Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy. He is on the editorial boards and journal reviews for national and international journals and an educational consultant. A well-funded researcher with more than 200 publications and abstracts, he has been invited nationally and internationally to give numerous lectures, and to consult on pregnancy complications involving preeclampsia and high-risk pregnancy disorders.
Under his leadership, the Nassau University Medical Center Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology received the 2012-2016 Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award and the 2012 Maternity Care Excellence Award form Healthgrades. The department also earned Healthcare Association of New York State recognition for registering the lowest C-section rate and highest vaginal birth after C-section rate in the region. Dr. Hsu has also been successful in implementing an evidence-based checklist known as “Hsu's Bundle” to reduce C-section surgical site infections down toward zero.
Dr. Hsu has been included in numerous lists of prestigious physicians, including America’s TOP Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors and TOP Doctors in New York Metro Area, and Best Doctor/TOP Doctor in New York Magazine.
Dr. Hsu is not taking students at this time.
Laboratory Web Site
- Cole LA, Brennan MC, Bahado-Singh R, Hsu C-D, Kingston JM. Preeclampsia/gestational hypertension, consequences of deficient hyperglycosylated hCG. Am J Obstet Gynecol (submitted).
- Cole LA, Brennan MC, Bahado-Singh R, Hsu C-D, Kingston JM. Hyperglycosylated hCG screening for preeclampsia/gestational hypertension (Supplement: Explains how to start screening patients for preeclampsia immediately). Am J Perinatol. 2016 (accepted).
- Hsu CD, Cohn I, Caban R. Reduction and sustainability of cesarean section surgical site infection: An evidence-based, innovative, and multidisciplinary quality improvement intervention bundle program. Am J Infect Control. 2016 Nov 1;44(11):1315-1320. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2016.04.217. PMID: 27317407
- Tetrokalashvili, M; Onuora, S; Patel, S; Shafik S, Fogel, J; Hsu, C-D. Correlation between body mass index and the length of hospital stay in women who undergo abdominal hysterectomy. Journal Gynecologic Surgery. 2016 April;32(2):96-8.
- Roman-Rodriguez CF, Weissbrot E, Hsu CD, Wong A, Siefert C, Sung L. Comparing transabdominal and transvaginal ultrasound-guided follicular aspiration: A risk assessment formula. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Dec;54(6):693-9. doi: 10.1016/j.tjog.2015.02.004. PMID: 26700987
- Roman-Rodriguez CF, Toussaint T, Sherlock DJ, Fogel J, Hsu CD. Pre-emptive penile ring block with sucrose analgesia reduces pain response to neonatal circumcision. Urology. 2014 Apr;83(4):893-8. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.10.010. PMID: 24275281
- Jean-Baptiste H, Tetrokalashvili M, Williams T, Fogel J, Hsu CD. Characteristics associated with postoperative diagnosis of adenomyosis or combined adenomyosis with fibroids. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2013 Aug;122(2):112-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2013.03.009. PMID: 23642890
- Polavarapu SS, Parton LA, Maramreddy H, Hsu CD. Are placental Fas and Fas ligand gene polymorphisms associated with preeclampsia? Pregnancy Hypertens. 2013 Jan;3(1):34-8. doi: 10.1016/j.preghy.2012.09.003. PMID: 26105738
For a complete list of Dr. Hsu's publications, please visit: PubMed-Hsu
Post Graduate Training
1981-82 Intern, Kaohsiung Medcial University
1982-85 Resident, Veterans General Hospital, Dept. Ob/Gyn (Taipei, Taiwan)
1986-90 Resident, Beth Israel Medical Center, Dep. Ob/Gyn (New York)
1990-91 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Dept. Ob/Gyn
1991-93 Postdoctoral Clinical Fellow, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Dept. Ob/Gyn
Awards & Honors
Best Faculty Teaching Award (2013)
Best Doctors in America (2005-2016)
American TOP OB/GYN (2008-2016)
CREOG, Excellence in Teaching Award (2010-2012)
Top Doctor in the Nation, New York Times (2010-2011)
Best Doctor in America, The Westbury Times (2009)
Best Doctor in America, East Meadow Herald (2009)
Best Doctor, New York Magazine (2009)
Top Doctors for Women’s Health, New York Times (2009)
Best Resident Teaching Award, New York Medical College (2006-2008)
Top Doctor, New York Metro Area (2004-2012)
Best Doctor of New York, Castle Connolly (2004-2012)
Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 4th Edition (2002-2013)
Berlex Junior Faculty Award, Brewster, Massachusetts (1996)
Faculty Scholar, Molecular Cardiobiology Program, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut (1993-1996)
ACOG-Ethicon District IV Award, ACOG Annual Meeting, Puerto Rico (1992)
M.D.(1982) Kaohsiung Medical University
M.P.H. (1991) The Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health